Beef and Bean Chili
2 pounds ground grass-fed beef
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 medium jalapeno chili, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 7 whole tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, or low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated grass-fed cheddar cheese, or low-fat grass-fed cheddar cheese
Heat a heavy 5-quart pot. Add the ground beef. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until browned. Drain excess fat, leaving a small amount to cook onions in.
Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno; cook until just tender. Stir in the chili powder and cumin. Continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the tomato sauce. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add the beans and continue cooking, uncovered, until meat and beans are very tender, and chili is thick, about 30 minutes more.
Serve in small bowls. Garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon each yogurt and cheddar cheese.