There’s nothing quite like the smell of a roasted chicken cooking in your kitchen. This meal is a crowd pleaser and looks so great as you serve it up. The tender chicken paired with the roasted potatoes that are cooked alongside the chicken and infused with the juices of the chicken is the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 Crescent Foods Whole Chicken
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1 large lemon
- 5 cloves garlic- 3 minced, 2 cut in half
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano- 3 chopped finely
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Melt butter in a small bowl; add minced garlic, chopped oregano, chopped coriander the zest of the lemons, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Thickly slice the onions and place them in the bottom of a large pan.
- Cut potatoes in half and toss with onions and 1 tsp of the butter mixture.
- Liberally season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cut the lemons in half; reserve juice and save rinds.
- The butter mixture will have hardened slightly by now. Using your hands, slather the mixture liberally over every part of the chicken and under the skin (being careful not to tear the skin). Place in a dutch oven on top of sliced onions and potatoes.
- Stuff the cavity with the lemon rinds, onion scraps, and remaining garlic.
- Pour reserved lemon juice over the chicken.
- Roast chicken for 15 minutes at 475, then reduce heat to 350 and cook for approximately 20 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (about 1.5 hours for a 4.5 lb. chicken). If you want to, baste the chicken approximately halfway through the cooking process.